Construction work on the Lafayette Street interchange project has begun in Jefferson City. This project is a large two-year project encompassing multiple improvements along U.S. Route 50 near Lafayette Street, including:
• A new interchange at U.S. Route 50 and Lafayette Street
• The addition of a lane in each direction on Route 50 (Whitton Expressway) from Monroe Street to Lafayette Street and from Lafayette to Clark Avenue.
• The replacement of three bridges along the corridor: the Chestnut Street bridge over Route 50, the Jackson Street bridge over Route 50 and the Route 50 bridge over Lafayette Street.
• Two new bridges will be built as part of the ramps on the new Route 50 interchange.
• Reconstruction of pavement on Lafayette Street from Elm Street to East Handley Way.
• The Clark Avenue bridge over Route 50 will be rehabilitated. Pavement north and south of the bridge to the ramp intersections will also be reconstructed.
Contractor: Emery Sapp and Sons, Inc.
Contract Cost: Estimated $20 million
MoDOT Project Administration: Jefferson City Project Office
Estimated Completion Date: Fall of 2016
Contract Progress % Complete: 75%
Weekly Project Updates
All work listed below is subject to change
depending on weather conditions
Scheduled Work During the Week of Aug. 22 (please note that all activities and schedules are weather permitting): Contractors will be work on retaining walls, and pour curb, gutter, concrete islands and sidewalk on Lafayette St. They will also install curb/gutters and lay asphalt on Jackson St. The contractors will also continue installing traffic signals on Lafayette St. and will install sidewalks and ADA ramps along Jackson St.
Upcoming Traffic Impacts:
- There will be periodic lane closures of eastbound and westbound U.S. Route 50/63 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, August 21 thru Saturday, August 27 from Monroe St. to Chestnut St.
Current Traffic Impacts:
- All Route 50/63 ramps at Lafayette Street remain closed.
- Westbound and eastbound bypasses have been removed. All traffic patterns have returned to normal on eastbound and westbound Route 50/63 at Lafayette Street. NOTE: Workers are still working in the area. Please observe all posted work zone speed limits for your safety and the safety of the workers.
- Elm Street is permanently closed from Lafayette Street 500 feet east to Cherry Street and also from just east of Marshall Street to Lafayette Street.
- Pedestrian/Cycling impacts: The east and west sidewalks along Lafayette Street from East Dunklin Street to East Miller Street, and across the Jackson Street Bridge remain closed due to construction. A temporary detour has been laid out on Monroe Street and Chestnut Street Bridge. Pedestrian and bicycle traffic is asked to use this temporary detour below.
Lafayette Sidewalk Detour Map (PDF)