Weekly Project Updates
All work listed below is subject to change
depending on weather conditions
Scheduled Work During the Week of May 16 (please note that all activities and schedules are weather permitting): Contractors will be drilling footings for sound walls west of Chestnut Street, grading the eastbound U.S. Route 50/63 lanes from the bridge to Monroe Street, working on Lafayette Street to East Miller and washing/staining MSE walls at Lafayette Street. Work will also continue on the MSE walls south of 50/63 at Jackson Street.
NOTE: There will be periodic lane closures in the driving lane of eastbound Route 50/63 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, May 15 thru Saturday, May 21 from Monroe St. to Chestnut St.
Current Traffic Impacts:
- Both eastbound lanes of Route 50/63 are being diverted onto the newly constructed westbound lanes and across the recently built westbound Route 50/63 bridge over Lafayette Street.
- The eastbound on ramp from Lafayette Street to Route 50/63 is closed.
- Both westbound lanes of Route 50/63 near Lafayette Street are being diverted down the new Lafayette off ramp. Traffic continues across Lafayette Street, travel up the new Lafayette on ramp and back onto westbound 50/63.
- Motorists do not have access to Lafayette Street from either bypass.
- The Clark Avenue on ramp from westbound 50/63 remains closed.
- All of the above traffic impacts are anticipated to remain in place until Summer of 2016. Two lanes will be open in each direction on 50/63 during the work, but traffic may move slower than normal during peak travel times.
- Elm Street is permanently closed from Lafayette Street 500 feet east to Cherry Street and also from just east of Marshall Street to Lafayette Street.
- The Jackson Street bridge is now closed for replacement and will remain closed until completion in the fall of 2016.
Two lanes will be open in each direction on Route 50/63 during the work, but traffic may move slower than normal during peak travel times. Motorists are encouraged to seek other routes, if possible.
Eastbound/Westbound Bypass Map (Effective 12-11-15)
Pedestrian/Cycling impacts: The east and west sidewalks along Lafayette Street from East Dunklin Street to East Miller Street, and across the Jackson Street Bridge remain closed due to construction. A temporary detour has been laid out on Monroe Street and Chestnut Street Bridge (see map below). Pedestrian and bicycle traffic is asked to use this temporary detour.
Lafayette Sidewalk Detour Map (PDF)