Hurricane Wilma Volunteers Stay On
When seven MoDOT Traffic employees arrived in Florida Nov. 16 to help restore approximately 2,800 traffic signals out of service due to Hurricane Wilma, they thought they’d be finished before Thanksgiving. Florida officials asked them to come back after Thanksgiving to continue working. Two of the original group returned, along with five new volunteers from around the state. Currently, they’re due back in mid-December.
E-Mail Updates Keep Drivers Informed
MoDOT’s new E-update system allows anyone to stay informed of department roadwork, public meetings, project developments or anything else. Visitors simply find the state map on the MoDOT Web site homepage, click on the region, and choose the E-update. Once an e-mail address is registered, you'll choose exactly which MoDOT announcements you'd like. All the information is just a mouse click away. E-Updates
Citizens Begin Planning For Missouri’s Transportation Future
Citizens around the state are taking lead roles in planning for the state’s future transportation system. MoDOT is hosting the first in a series of regional working group meetings to discuss statewide needs, transportation trends and conditions. The department is also looking for opportunities to improve Missouri’s transportation policies and strategies. Meetings are open to the public. MAPS
SRI Program Has Many Benefits
The Smoother, Safer, Sooner program benefits more than just our roads. According Dr. Ernie Perry, head of MoDOT's economic research efforts, each dollar invested in the Smooth Roads Initiative returns more than $4 in economic benefits. This research is being done in cooperation with the Department of Economic Development to study the economic impacts of transportation improvements. Perry said 20 projects will be studied each year to determine jobs created, financial benefits and other regional impacts.
Legislative Proposal Benefits Multimodal Operations
One proposal on MoDOT ’s 2006 Legislative Agenda specifically targets improving multimodal facilities statewide. This proposal would benefit waterway ports, railroad crossings, airports and public transit. If passed, at least 75 percent of the proceeds from the state sales tax on materials for MoDOT-funded construction projects would fund multimodal improvement projects. The remaining 25 percent would help local communities match federal transit grants for public transit projects.
Missouri Safety Partners Recognized for Roadway Safety Excellence
On behalf of the Missouri Coalition for Roadway Safety, MoDOT accepted a national 2005 Roadway Safety Award for Missouri’s Blueprint for Safer Roadways. This was one of 14 awards given by the Federal Highway Administration and the Roadway Safety Foundation in Washington D.C. on Nov. 15. The Blueprint received recognition for its unique approach to making the state’s roads safer. Roadway Safety
Prepare for Winter Weather
With winter quickly approaching, drivers may be thinking about bad weather and slick roads. MoDOT's Web-based road-conditions map can help motorists prepare for their next winter trip. It also features information on plowing priorities, how to keep your driveway clear when snowplows are out, and some winter driving tips. If you haven’t found it already, check out this site (and check back frequently)… Winter Road Conditions